Reading Friends is the new scheme from Worcestershire libraries, dedicated to tackling loneliness and social isolation by bringing people together to read, share stories, meet new friends, and have fun!
The scheme is centred around three key library services:
- Library Service at Home – helps Worcestershire residents who are unable to access the library because of age, disability or long-term illness, and who have no relatives or friends who can visit on their behalf. Books are picked and delivered to the customer’s home each month based on their preferences and format needs.
- Connect Bubbles – small, group chat sessions which take place online using Zoom and are led by library staff and volunteers. Giving people a safe, online space to connect with others over a shared interest or activity.
- Reading Friends One-to-One calls – volunteers provide one-to-one calls for those unable to access library Connect Bubbles online or who prefer to talk over telephone. Library Service at Home customers can also request one-to-one calls to discuss the books they have read each month.
Anyone interested in learning more about the Reading Friends Scheme can email , visit https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/ReadingFriends or read the flyer attached.
Reading Well at Worcestershire Libraries supports people to better understand and manage their health and wellbeing using helpful reading.
Managing our health and wellbeing has never been more important and accessing free self-help books through your local library can be a great first step to managing everyday mental health issues such as stress, anxiety, depression or how to cope with long term health conditions.
There are five Reading Well collections available through 21 libraries across Worcestershire. All books are recommended by health experts, as well as people with lived experience of the conditions and topics covered:
- Reading Well for mental health
- Reading Well for children
- Reading Well for young people
- Reading Well for long term conditions
- Reading Well for dementia
To find out more and to browse and reserve Reading Well titles, including those available to download as e Book and e Audiobook visit https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/ReadingWell
For further information about Worcestershire Libraries and the benefits of library membership visit www.worcestershire.gov.uk/libraries