Voter ID required at May Elections.

Local Elections May 2023 – Voter ID

Following a change in the law, introduced by the UK government, for the first time you will need to show photo ID to be able to vote in person (doesn’t affect postal voting) in the Wychavon District Council and Parish and Town Council Elections being held on 4 May 2023.  If you do not bring photo ID to the polling station and produce it when asked, then you will not be able to cast your vote.

Acceptable forms of photo ID

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You will only need to show one form of photo ID. It needs to be the original version and not a photocopy.  You can use any of the following examples of the more readily available documents.

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country.
  • Driving licence issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (this includes a provisional driving licence)
  • A Blue Badge
  • Older Person’s Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
  • Identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (a PASS card)
  • Biometric immigration document
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)
  • Voter Authority Certificate (see below for details)

Other forms of photo ID are acceptable, and a full list can be found on: . 

If you are unsure if the form of photo ID you plan to use is valid then contact Wychavon elections team by emailing: or phone: 01386 565437

Only forms of photo ID on the list will be accepted. Work issued photo ID cards (e.g by local government, police, NHS etc) and student cards without a PASS mark won’t be accepted.

You can still use your photo ID if it’s out of date, as long as it looks like you. The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

What if I don’t have an accepted form of photo ID?

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate.  When applying for a Voter Authority Certificate you will need to supply some basic details and a passport-style photograph.

You can apply for the certificate online at GOV.UK.  If you cannot use the online system, then you can visit the Customer Contact Centres in Evesham, Droitwich or Pershore.

Alternatively, you can also contact Wychavon elections team to request a paper application form, or if you need help applying for a Voter Authority Certificate, or a query about Voter ID, call 01386 565437 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday